top of page

How to become a Tax Resident in Spain

To become a tax resident in Spain, you must meet certain requirements and follow the appropriate steps. Here are the general steps to follow:

  • Determine your tax residence: According to Spanish tax laws, a tax resident is considered to be a person who resides in Spain for more than 183 days during a calendar year, or those whose main center of activities or economic interests is in Spain. You should evaluate your personal situation to determine if you meet these criteria.

  • Obtain a Foreign Identification Number (NIE): The NIE is a personal identification number for foreigners that you will need to carry out tax procedures in Spain. You can request it at the immigration office corresponding to your place of residence in Spain.

  • Register in the municipal register: You must register in the municipal register of your place of residence in Spain. This implies going to the corresponding town hall and providing the required documents, such as your passport, rental contract or property deed, and other documents that may be requested.

  • Submit the tax residence change declaration: If you are transferring your tax residence to Spain from another country, you must submit the tax residence change declaration to the Spanish Tax Agency. This declaration will allow you to officially establish your fiscal residence in Spain.

  • Meet your tax obligations: As a tax resident in Spain, you will be subject to Spanish tax laws and regulations. You must submit the corresponding tax returns, such as Personal Income Tax (IRPF) and Wealth Tax, as appropriate to your personal situation.

Therefore, in order to be more specific, to become a tax resident in Spain, there are certain procedures and documents that you need to submit, excluding the NIE. Here are the main steps:

  • Obtain a certificate of registration: You must register with the corresponding town hall to obtain a certificate of registration (certificado de empadronamiento), which proves your residency in Spain.

  • Application for tax residency: You need to submit an application to the Spanish Tax Agency (Agencia Tributaria) to obtain tax residency. This involves declaring your intention to reside in Spain permanently.

  • Declaration of change of tax residency: If you are transferring your tax residency to Spain from another country, you will need to submit a declaration of change of tax residency to the Spanish Tax Agency.

  • Income tax return (IRPF): As a tax resident in Spain, you will be required to file an annual income tax return. This involves completing the corresponding income tax return form (Modelo 100) and submitting it within the established deadlines.

  • Other forms and declarations: Depending on your personal and financial situation, you may need to submit other tax forms and declarations, such as Form 720 (declaration of assets and rights held abroad) or Form 714 (declaration of assets and rights located abroad).

Remember that it is advisable to seek advice from a tax professional specializing in Spanish taxation to get accurate guidance tailored to your personal situation. Each case may be unique and may require additional or specific procedures.

4 views0 comments


bottom of page