12 Things to be Checked before Buying a Property in Spain
These are some of the questions that would have to be answered before any decision is made:
1. Does the seller really own the property?
2. Are there any charges/loads/seizures on the property?
3. Are there any leases or inhabitants currently in the property?
4. Is the property subject to any special protection regime?
5. Is the property integrated into a horizontal or vertical community regime? In this case: Is the owner up to date in the payment of the corresponding installments?
6. Are there any receipts for IBI or other taxes pending payment?
7. Insurance Status (an architectural report/survey to detect damages and hidden defects would be something to take very much into consideration)
8. Does the home have CEE (Energy Efficiency Certificate)?
9. Are there any lawsuits affecting the property?
10. Does the property have a habitability certificate?
11. Does the house meet the requirements of the urbanistic plans?
12. Does the info at the Catastro coincides with the one at the Registry?